Pet Travel 

Where does the UK stand now as far as Pet Travel to EU goes?

As of Jan 1st 2021, UK Pet Passports are no longer going to be accepted for animals travelling from the UK to EU countries.  You can still use a previously issued Pet Passport to:

a) return back to the UK if you are abroad in the EU after Jan 1st 2021.
b) to travel onwards  from current EU member states to other EU member states after Jan 1st 2021. (not the UK)

If you are wanting to take your pet abroad after Jan 1st 2021 then you will need an Animal Health Certificate (AHC).

How does the Animal Health Certificate (AHC) process work?

  • Your pet must be microchipped. This will need to be checked/ inserted prior to any rabies vaccines.  This can be done at the same appointment if required.
  • Your pet must have a rabies vaccine. Pets must be over 12 weeks old.  The rabies vaccine can NOT be given within 2 weeks of any other vaccination. The vaccine we currently use lasts for THREE years before booster vaccination will be required.
  • You do NOT need to have a blood test taken. The regulations do not require a serological blood test to be taken.  Some animals may have already had samples taken but these are now not required.
  • You CANNOT travel until 21 days AFTER the rabies vaccine. This is very important as you will need to plan ahead.   Animals risk being quarantined if you travel within this 21 day period.
  • You will need to see an OV (official veterinarian) at the vets within a 10 day period prior to travel. The AHC is only valid for 10 days once it has been issued.  You need to plan ahead so you can get your appointment with us within the correct time window for your planned entry into the EU.
  • We will need proof of rabies vaccination. If your pet has a Pet Passport already, or you have had the rabies vaccine done at our practice then this will suffice as proof.  However, if your pet has had a rabies vaccine at a different practice and you do not have an existing Pet Passport, then you may require a further rabies vaccine with us and a further 21 day wait. We strongly suggest you check with us well in advance if you are not sure.
  • You will need to fill out a pre-travel detail form prior to the appointment with us. The new AHC is a complex and time consuming document.  We will need plenty to time to examine your pet, complete and check the documents as well as copy and certify all the other paperwork required.
  • Your AHC is valid for 10 days for entry in to the EU and 4 months for onward travel.
  • You will require a NEW AHC each time you want to travel to the EU, even if this is within close proximity to a previous AHC being issued. 

How much does it cost?

This process is going to be more costly than the old Pet Passport System due to the complexity of  the documentation and the time taken to complete and finalise all your documents.

Each appointment with the vet may be up to 40 mins long and the cost includes all your documentation at the end required to travel. Please call us to discuss the current costings, and please remember that this will be required every time that you want to take your pet to the EU.